Festival dates are based on the Bhutanese lunar calendar and the dates change from year to year. To have a proper idea of festival dates and to choose the popular festival(s) you can write to us.
Festival dates 2019
Some of the popular festivals held in Bhutan in 2019 are as mentioned below:
- Paro Tshechu held from 17th March to 21st March
- Haa Summer festival held in Haa on 13th and 14th July
- Masutake festival held in Bumthang on 23rd and 24th July
- Thimphu Tshechu is from October 8th to Oct 10.
- Jambay Lhakhag drup is from Nover 13th to Novermber 16th
- Black necked crane festival is held on November 11th.
We haven’t mentioned small festivals celebrated in small villages in Bhutan. Sometimes smaller festivals are preferred by some of our guests as these smaller festivals brings you closer to the small communities.
Most popular festival in Bhutan
The most popular festivals in Bhutan are the below mentioned festivals.
- Paro festival . Held in spring in Paro this is the first festival with maximum number of tourists. This festival commemorates the Buddhist master Guru Rinpoche who introduced Buddhism in Bhutan. People in the valley celebrate this festival to get blessing and start a good year of plentiful time.
- Thimphu Festival. This festival is the most congregated festival. Most of the time Thimphu festival is attended by over 50,000 people from all over the country and tourists from different country.
- Jambay Lhakhang festival. Jambay Lhakhang festival is held in central Bhutan just before the start of winter in Bhutan. This festival is famous for a unique naked dance.
Best festival by variety.
Punakha festival in spring is the best festival according to us. Though its one of the best festivals very few tourists visit Bhutan during this festival. This festival displays some of the unique traditions of Bhutan and its popular for its traditional soldier’s dance.
New year festival
For ages Bhutanese new year is very special to all Bhutanese. This festivals is celebrated in spring. Any lucky outsider joining a family to celebrate this festival will enjoy it throughly. New year is the only time when all the family members come together to feast and pray for a good year ahead. People dress in their Sunday best and enjoy their day at home. Archery matches are organized between rival village teams and women sing and dance during the archery match.
Local religious festival.
Buddhist ritual are an integral part of Bhutanese culture. These small ritual are conducted in local homes from time to time to ward off evil and to bring good luck. This a very elaborate personal affair and most of the time only close neighbours and friends are invited.
Check some of our popular festival this year. Popular Bhutan festivals dates 2019